Wilted Spinach and Rice Salad
- 5 slices bacon
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup cooked rice, cooled to room temperature
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons water
Cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels, then crumble. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
Combine spinach, rice mushrooms, tomatoes, and onion in large mixing bowl.
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, mustard, reserved drippings and water in small saucepan; heat just to boiling.
Pour dressing over salad; toss lightly. Garnish with bacon; serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Each serving provides 146 calories, 6 grams protein, 5 grams fat, 20 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams dietary fiber, 8 milligrams cholesterol, and 574 milligrams sodium.